We have a small team of Family Support workers/advocates who are all family carers of people with learning disabilities themselves.
Please note due to current restrictions all our services are now online.
What we provide for families
While our ultimate aim is to help families to be stronger advocates for themselves and their relatives, we recognise that we all need support at some time. Working with a range of professionals and different agencies can be complex and overwhelming and sometimes we just need someone to ‘walk with us’ for a while.
- Information, advice and support on a range of issues that affect families of people with learning disabilities via email or telephone.
- Some queries can be answered straightaway through direct advice or signposting, however if you need more ongoing or in depth support we can allocate a family support worker to help you if appropriate
- Support for families at meetings with professionals.
- Events, workshops and training opportunities for family carers and professionals.
- Opportunities to meet with professionals through our online Question and Answer sessions.
Taking the lead from families
We take our lead from families. The support we offer is based on what families tell us they need, or where we as family carers ourselves, identify an issue we think needs addressing.
- We feedback the views and needs of family carers to social care providers and the County Council, to ensure that their voices are heard when commissioning services.
- We feedback the experiences of families to the relevant health and social care agencies, aiming to identify gaps in the services and to improve them for other families (anonymously and respecting privacy of course).
- We use the learning from cases we work on with families, to provide information and advice to other families.
How to get in contact:
We prefer it when families get in touch with us directly. However, we also take referrals from professionals who identify when a family they are working with may need additional support. We will only contact you in these circumstances if you have expressly given permission for us to do so.
Please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 07891 734987 or 07821 987080